WFEO Task Group on Sustainable Development and Mining: Vision and Mission
The task group on Sustainable Development and Mining assists the Committee on Engineering and the Environment (CEE) of the WFEO in supporting achievement of the UN Millennium Development Goals through the promotion and dissemination of information on the application of:
- Environmentally sound engineering practices and technologies in the minerals sector,
- Best practices in social sustainability and the minerals sector including worker health, safety, reliability and training,
- Best practices in eco-efficient usage of land, water, energy, and mineral resources,
- Engineering solutions to reusing, repurposing, and recycling of mineral materials,
- Information on risk analysis, mitigation, and management techniques in the minerals sector,
with the over-arching goal of
capacity building for mineral producers, and stakeholders, including authorities, non-governmental organizations, and the general public.
To raise global understanding and application of engineering approaches and technologies so as to increase the contributions of the mining and minerals industries to economic, social and environmental wellbeing, and sustainable development.
updated: December 15, 2012